We’re super excited to have the hottest young export from Belgium, Eptic! This 19 year old prodigy has been shaking up the Dubstep world with his creative and hard-hitting releases. Celebrating the release of his new ‘Mastermind’ EP on Never Say Die Records with an exclusive digital release party on May 6th, we got to chat with Eptic about a range of topics including his start as a DJ/Producer, his views on the Dubstep scene and room for growth, and what you can expect from the young gun in the near future!
1. You’re an insanely talented producer and one of the younger ones making real moves in the game. Did you know from an early age that music was the career path you wanted to follow?
Thanks that’s a big compliment! I never saw music as a career path to be honest, it was always more of a hobby! I started playing electric guitar when i was about 11, then really got into dj’ing and producing later on. I didn’t plan for this too happen, but I’m glad that it did. It’s funny how things work out sometimes!
2. How did your relationship with Never Say Die Records begin?
SKisM started talking to me online! After sending him a few tunes he decided to sign me, and that’s it basically!
3. With trap’s recent rise as a dominant sub-genre of bass music, where do you see Dubstep scene going in the next few years? Do you see them co-existing or competing for listeners?
I don’t think Trap is going to overpower Dubstep! It had a huge impact on the scene so far; it pushed a lot of producers into different directions, which is a good thing in my opinion. I see the 2 genres co-existing in the future.
4. We’re huge fans of your ‘Like A Boss’ EP. Which song are you most proud of on there?
I think my personal favorite is: “Oh Snap”. It’s a really melodic tune. I actually didn’t think people would like it when I first made it. It got loads of great reactions by fans and producers I look up to, so it was a huge boost when it comes to my confidence as a producer!
5. We’re super excited about ‘Mastermind’ coming out on May 6th on Never Say Die. What else can we expect to come in 2013 from you?
Glad you’re excited! I’m working on some different genres, a bunch of weird stuff, and a whole load of collabs with friends like Habstrakt and SKisM.
So keep an eye out the next few months, I’m not planning on slowing down
A huge thanks to Eptic for a great interview! Be sure to check out “Mastermind” dropping on May 6th and RSVP for the Mastermind Digital Release Party on Mixify also on May 6th at 5:00 PM!